Tips for Getting a Fiancé Visa

Posted ByLaw Offices of Elsa Martinez

At theLaw Offices of Elsa Martinez, we know that you must be excited to reunite with your fiancé, so we have put together some effective tips for you to expedite theK-1 fiancé visa process along much quicker.

It is imperative to understand that nobody can make the government move faster. However, the best way to speed up the process is to avoid slowing it down.

The following are several tips to expedite your fiancé visa:

  1. Learn everything about your partner. You must build a case to the U.S. government that you have a legitimate relationship with your fiancé, which is why you must learn all there is to know about him or her. Talk, text, e-mail, chat, and Skype as much as possible and try to document your correspondence to use as evidence.
  2. Ensure that you meet all requirements. You must be a United States citizen and over 18 years of age to petition for a K-1 visa. You need to be legally free to marry and intend to marry your fiancé within 90 days. Lastly, it is mandatory to have physically met your fiancé at least once within two years.
  3. Accumulate adequate proof of your relationship. Try to paint a clear picture of your relationship by taking lots of pictures together and keep receipts. Maintain a file for evidence that displays your relationship in order to help you avoid delays and save you time when it’s time to file.
  4. Follow the rules. Adhere to the government’s rules by avoiding delays and legal issues. Do not attempt to pretend like you’ve met your fiancé in person if you haven’t, or get your fiancé here on a tourist visa and try to adjust status.

If you require experienced legal assistance to obtain a K-1 visa for your fiancé,contact the Law Offices of Elsa Martinez and request a consultation with our Los Angeles immigration attorney today.