Answers to Your Immigration Law Questions

Whether you are trying to come to the U.S. to reunite with your family, have investment or business interests, or are looking to defend your case in court, our team at the Law Offices of Elsa Martinez, PLC can help. Our immigration lawyers know just how complex and ever-changing immigration law can be. You can rely on us to answer your questions and guide you in the right direction. We speak your language, and we understand what the agency needs. Together we will find the way.

Can I Join My U.S. Citizen Fiancé in the U.S.?

Depending on the circumstances of your engagement and plans to marry, you may be able to use a fiancé visa to come to the U.S. to join your fiancé. There are certain restrictions which may apply, such as planning to get married within 90 days of arrival date.

Are There Different Types of Business Visas?

Yes, there are multiple types of business or employment visas. A few examples of reasons you may want to obtain a business visa, including settling an estate, business conferences, negotiating contracts, and business consultations.

What Types of Family Immigration Exist?

Family immigration is intended to help keep families together or reunite them if they have been kept apart. There are many different types of family visas, including K visas for fiancés and spouses, as well as visas for the children of U.S. citizens.

What if I Am Facing Removal?

There are several reasons you could be facing removal. If you are currently facing removal proceedings, there are multiple strategies we can employ, including waivers of removal, cancellation of removal, or adjustment of status. We have successfully made legal arguments that result in the removal proceedings being terminated, because we put the Department of Homeland Security to the test.

Can You Help Prevent Deportation?

If you were convicted of a crime or are facing deportation for any other reason, it is imperative that you consult with a Los Angeles immigration attorney who can fight to keep you in the United States. We have the necessary tools to fight against deportation. We have an in-depth understanding of criminal statutes and how pleas impact an individual’s immigration status, we can discuss collateral attacks on already settled convictions and we can work with your criminal counsel of choice prior to entering into a detrimental plea deal.

How Does Executive Order 13769 Affect Me?

Right now, Executive Order 13769, also known as Protecting the Nation from Foreign Terrorist Entry into the United States, has been put under a temporary restraining order by District Judge James Robart of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington. The restraining order is nationwide, meaning you can’t be detained because of this order. Those previously detained under the EO have been released. While the current administration is challenging this restraining order, the president has been working on a revised version; one that continues to target the following Muslim-majority countries: Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan Syria, and Yemen.

What Do I Do If Immigration Officers Are at My Door?

If Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents are at your door, keep it closed. Ask them what they are there for. If they don’t speak your language, ask for an interpreter. ICE agents cannot come into your house unless they have a warrant signed by a judge.

  • If they do not have one, you can refuse them entry. If they do, ask them to slip it under the door for you to look at. Examine the document. The top should have a signature line that will indicate it is signed by a judge and issued by a court. The document needs to be signed by a court/judge, not a Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or ICE employee. If they don’t have one, say “I do not consent to your entry.
  • If they do have one, make sure it’s signed by a court or judge. The warrant should also list a person at your residence and/or areas to be searched in your home. Proper warrants require you to consent to entry. Go ahead and let them in, but remember that you have the right to remain silent.

If ICE agents force their way in without a warrant, do not resist them. You can tell them clearly you do not consent to their entry and search of your property and you exercise your right to remain silent.

You can then request to speak to a lawyer as soon as possible.Until your lawyer arrives, do not sign anything given to you and do not answer any questions. Ask for an attorney to be present if they try to get you to sign something.

Call our office today at (213) 489-5202 to make an appointment.