Applying for a K-1 Fiancé Visa in California

Are you currently engaged to or planning to marry someone currently living abroad who does not have legal status in the United States? As a U.S. citizen, you can help your fiancé with the immigration and visa application process. The purpose of a fiancé visa (K-1 visa) is to allow your fiancé to join you in the U.S. with the purpose of getting married and establishing their permanent residence. There are certain restrictions which apply to this visa, which is why consulting with a Los Angeles immigration attorney at the Law Offices of Elsa Martinez, PLC is vital.

Qualifications That Must Be Met to Bring Your Fiancé to the U.S.

In order to apply for the K-1 fiancé visa, you and your spouse will need to meet very specific criteria. If you are approved and your fiancé joins you in the U.S., you will have to get married within 90 days of their arrival date. After the wedding is complete, your spouse can then petition to USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) for a green card (adjustment of status). It is essential that you work with our firm to ensure all paperwork is handled correctly and that you are prepared for any upcoming interviews.

  • In order to apply for a fiancé visa, you must meet these requirements:
  • You must be a U.S. citizen to sponsor your fiancé.
  • You and your fiancé must have met in person within the past two years.
  • You and your fiancé must both be able to legally get married.

What to Expect from the Fiancé Visa Application Process

Although this may seem very straightforward, the process can take up to nine months. When your application is submitted, it goes to the National Visa Center and then to the appropriate embassy. This can take a significant amount of time and your application may be viewed by a variety of individuals responsible for approving fiancé visas. If any mistakes are made in the paperwork or application, it may be denied and you may have to appeal. We are here to help guide you effectively to ensure every step is handled properly.

Legal Guidance with Fiancé Immigration

If you need legal guidance pursuing your fiancé visa, we encourage you to seek the experienced legal guidance of an immigration attorney. The Law Offices of Elsa Martinez is proud to assist individuals with getting their loved ones into the country. We are passionate about immigration law and genuinely care about all of our clients. We want to see you get on the right track toward a positive outcome to your immigration case.

Our Los Angeles fiancé visa attorneys are dedicated to making the application process as simple as possible. Contact us now at (213) 489-5202 for a consultation.